Vegan Bean Burgers
Packed full of flavour, these Vegan Bean Burgers are served up with rocket and slaw to provide a tasty accompaniment to your summer BBQ.
k/cals per serving
Frylight Rapeseed Oil
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 cloves garlic
350g black beans
Handful of parsley
1/2 tsp cumin
100g white cabbage, finely sliced
100g carrots, grated or finely sliced
1 tbsp vegan mayo or creme fraiche
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
4 burger buns
Rocket and relish for serving
- Put the onions, garlic and chilli into a food processor bowl and pulse so they are roughly chopped. If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop by hand.
- Add the black beans and parsley and blitz again until the mix has a coarse texture, or use a stick blender to blitz the black beans with the onion mix.
- Add the breadcrumbs and cumin, season with salt and pepper and mix together with a spoon until everything is combined.
- Use your hands to form 4 patties from the bean mixture (Top tip – you can spray your palms with a little Frylight to prevent the mixture sticking to your hands). Put aside until you are ready to cook.
- Make the slaw by mixing the cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise, mustard and seasoning together well.
- Heat your oven to 220°C / 200°C fan.
- Spray your frying pan with Frylight and place on a medium heat until the Frylight goes clear. Place the burgers into the pan (2 or 4 at a time depending on the size of your pan). Fry for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Spray a baking tray with Frylight, place the burgers onto the tray and into the oven for 10 minutes to cook through.
- Lightly toast your burger buns, and then build the burgers by putting a spoonful of slaw on to the base, followed by a burger pattie, a handful of the rocket, a dollop of relish and then finish with the lid on top.